Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Why Blog on Climate Change?

After spending much of the past year educating myself on climate change and related issues by investigating websites, attending talks, studying articles, as well as reading books, I find that I can no longer stand on the sidelines as the earth's climate careens toward certain catastrophe.

Being a practicing family law attorney, I do not have any particular expertise or insights on climate change or energy issues, or any scientific issue for that matter.  What I do have is a passion for the great outdoors, which for me includes all those wild creatures, mountain views, flowing streams, meandering hiking trails, and ecosystems local and far away that make-up our world.  In the weeks and months ahead I intend to channel that passion into a drive to convince local and national leaders in all walks of life to work towards reducing greenhouse gas emissions in a sustainable manner.

Living in the Washington, D.C. area affords me the unique opportunity to work locally in an effort to promote national and even international action on climate change issues.  Since working through the political or legal systems in the United States is unlikely to bring the needed change in time to avoid climate disaster, I will focus on activist means.  As a practicing Buddhist, any action that I engage in will strictly be nonviolent and result in no property damage.

Will you join me?

1 comment:

  1. I am with you. Going local is probably the best way, as only with a solid and enthusiastic base of support can we even begin to have a hope of countering the corporate interests which have so effectively convinced so many that human activity has nothing to do with climate change.

    ReplyDelete